Saturday, April 9, 2011

MVP Awards

Gerry Dalton received a Volunteer of the Year award from the City of Arlington for his many years of volunteerism with the Office of Emergency Management. He put in 90 hours organizing and assigning volunteers at the OEM/EOC during Super Bowl Week. I and 3 others received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Office of Emergency Management for our work with the OEM and CERT. This is my second. All attending AFD and OEM Super Bowl volunteers were called to stage and thanked in a an humbling speech by Fire Chief Don Crowson (far right in photo). City website article. Beautiful morning topped off when I won a Gift Basket from Arlington Animal Services full of very nice doggie items. I have cats. After discovering what was inside, I'll probably return all but the stuffed plus puppy that sings "I'm Crazy (about  you)" back to the Shelter volunteers for their use. Or maybe I'll give in after 3 years and adopt another dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is terrific! I'm so happy that you have kept up with volunteering. You as well as the rest give so much that you can never be thanked enough for what yall do. Keep up the spirit.

Ben

LindaMc said...

Good to hear from you!!! Thank you so much for the compliment. I feel like I get far more out of volunteering than I have given to the effort. I still consider it a privilege - and sometimes a lot of fun.

Abbreviation Key

AARC - Arlington Amateur Radio Club
ARES
- Amateur Radio Emergency Service
CERT
- Community Emergency Response Team
EMST - Emergency Management Support Team
EOC
- Emergency Operations Center - part of the OEM
FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency
NWS
- National Weather Service
NWS FWD - National Weather Service - Fort Worth/Dallas
OEM - Office of Emergency Management
PSE
- Public Service Event - ARES Net
RACES - Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services
TESSA
- TExas Severe Storm Associaton